PDA

View Full Version : New computer works great but.....

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
March 16th, 2004, 09:32 AM
I just got a brand new computer and loaded up SWG. It seems to be having MAJOR graphics issues when Im outside in the world. Inside a building like my house I get 29+ fps and ping around 100-130. As soon as I get near a door and it opens up to the world my fps bottoms out to 1 or 2 and my ping shoots up to 1000+. The world looks strange too. Large sections of the ground are one color and very blocky looking. Inside my house everything is perfectly fine.

This is my new system:

P4 3.0mhz
Gigabyte mobo w/ 800mhz FSB
1 gig of Corsair matched RAM (2x512meg)
Sound Blaster Live 5.1
nVidia FX 5200 256meg video card
Connected to a cable modem w/ max down of 3.0 megs

The video card was in my other computer so I know it works properly with SWG. I also installed fresh, up to date drivers for it from the nVidia site. Anti-aliasing is off as well. I tried it at 800x600 and 1024x768 and still get the same thing.

Any suggestions?

LA_MERC_RPSNIPER
March 16th, 2004, 09:48 AM
You might try installing the last driver for you video card that you did not have any problems with. That would rule out if it is the new drivers causing it.

LA_MERC_Onji
March 16th, 2004, 11:26 AM
eek, is the fan on the card working ok? also if what rp suggests didnt work, try putting one of our old 3dcards in there to see what happens, if it does better then it might be a faulty vid card

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
March 16th, 2004, 11:27 AM
what Henry said. also, check the settings inside SWG. you may have your video options set differently than before.

bighead
March 16th, 2004, 12:01 PM
I just think it's b/c he's a nub :) but i dunno cfh. what the others said should work. or i would think..u can also search the swg forums on your card and see if anyone else had the same issue

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
March 16th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Card doesn't have a fan....
The old drivers are what I'm going to try next....
And I will match the settings to the other comp that it worked fine in.

I can't imagine the card went bad in a matter of minutes. It was working great in the slower comp but started acting retarded when I put it in the new comp. The odd thing is it only does it in the open areas. Inside places (at least my house where there is nothing moving) its fine. Maybe I should head to the cantina and see what happnens. Only thing is it will probably take me 1 1/2 to go the 1000m to the cantina.

LA_MERC_LaTech
March 16th, 2004, 12:49 PM
The reason why, I think, is that in an enclosed space, the video card actually has less to draw than it does out in the open. With less to draw, it will draw more frames per second. In an open area, it has to worry about smoke, weather, grass, trees, other people, other creatures...everything. That's a lot to have to keep track of, and to know where to draw it.

LA_MERC_Captain_Obvious
March 16th, 2004, 01:09 PM
if the prior doesn't work. look at your bios settings. you may have some settings that are causing trouble for your card. (like agp aperature size, on board vid enabled, fast writes disabled, agp 2x enabled instead of 8x, etc.)

if you don't have a fan on the card, make sure the heatsink is properly attached. you may have "un-seated" the heatsink during the installation, causing the gpu to overheat rather quickly. (although I doubt this would be the case. you would see spots, color streaking, basic visual artifacts first)

LA_MERC_T4rg3T
March 16th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
Maybe I should head to the cantina and see what happnens. Only thing is it will probably take me 1 1/2 to go the 1000m to the cantina.

An hour and a half to get from one place to another.. Just another reason why I don't play swg crack rock

LA_MERC_Sabre
March 16th, 2004, 01:29 PM
the problem is obviously between the keyboard and floor!

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
March 16th, 2004, 01:49 PM
lol...it only takes an hour and a half because of 1000+ ping an 1 fps. Normaly it would take about 2 minutes by speeder from my house. Anyways, I saw oon the SOE boards that someone else the same problem. It's the new nvidia drivers. He switched back and it was fine. We shall see....

Scott

LA_MERC_Mercy
March 16th, 2004, 05:01 PM
ha told you not to get a computer from cyberpower

LA_MERC_Mercy
March 16th, 2004, 05:01 PM
just kidding though...dont know why...ask the big wigs

-=C.O.P.S=-KOrruptED
March 16th, 2004, 05:50 PM
yea i think it's the new driver, just tried it on my gf4 4200 ti, it doesn't work well, very glitchy movement in cs.

LA_MERC_Drax
March 16th, 2004, 07:14 PM
With that computer, you shouldn't have trouble moving around, but outside is much harder for the graphics card than inside. I remember back when i played EQ, i had to turn everything off when i was on an outside raid.

LA_MERC_MadMAX
March 16th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Intel HAX!!! Shoulda got an AMD man!

LA_MERC_Cowboy_From_Hell
March 17th, 2004, 08:20 AM
lol....

It was the drivers. I rolled them back all the way to the original disk (34.45 or something like that) and it works great. I can run through Coronet starport and not skip at all :D:D:D:D

Scott

LA_MERC_Onji
March 17th, 2004, 08:22 AM
sweet, glad you got it going bb

LA_MERC_LaTech
March 17th, 2004, 08:49 AM
w00t!

aCiD
March 17th, 2004, 11:43 AM
yea i had the same probelm, i found out my computer is slow, and i need to make another one that works good on SWG becausei really liked that game, twas fun :D... well it was fun when i could actually walk somewhere without having FPS lag :P

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==