PDA

View Full Version : hard drive partitioning

LA_MERC_Sabre
March 4th, 2004, 11:45 AM
ok i know some of you partition your hard drive, is there any advice you can give to a boon? Like is there any software that i should use? or should i just do it when i format?

i'll be putting a new hard drive in (120 gig) so i want to try to partition it.

also should i create a partition for my OS (5 gigs???), but if i do that, will it create problems when i install apps on a different partition???:d:

LA_MERC_Onji
March 4th, 2004, 11:46 AM
dont do it! partitioning is the devil! hehe

Regardless
March 4th, 2004, 11:47 AM
I'll try and understand your post first, then get back to yah :p

:fruit

LA_MERC_goose
March 4th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Mine is a 75 gig and I have three partitions: 5 for OS, 30 for Programs and 40 for documents and I don't have any problems. M@lachi helped me when I was building my system and if I remember right we used the Windows 2000 install to partition the drive. I have used fdisk most often when I do it for other peps.

**just the little goofie goose's two cents** :D

Regardless
March 4th, 2004, 11:50 AM
k i give up, I just have 1 hard disk (18 gig) and that it. I like all my space in one location bwaha

:duals

Regardless
March 4th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by goose
Mine is a 75 gig and I have three partitions: 5 for OS, 30 for Programs and 40 for documents and I don't have any problems. M@lachi helped me when I was building my system and if I remember right we used the Windows 2000 install to partition the drive. I have used fdisk most often when I do it for other peps.

**just the little goofie goose's two cents** :D

That sounds good. I'm actually thinking of putting in a weak 4.3 gig hard drive just for my os, because friends said if you get a virus it only effects your os hard drive, so my 18 gig would be safe, any tohughts?

I might partition my 18 gig for music too, I just re-formatted so I dun have much crap, and somethings laggin my puter so I prob re-format again anyway.

LA_MERC_Sabre
March 4th, 2004, 11:55 AM
goose, when you install a program on your 'program' partition, do you have to do anything different with the setup? Obviously i'll need to change the install drive/directory but sometimes a program will install stuff into windows directory's right???

Regardless
March 4th, 2004, 11:58 AM
I dunno, dun ask me 0.0

doh..you're not

LA_MERC_Sabre
March 4th, 2004, 11:59 AM
lol...tard...hehehe

Regardless
March 4th, 2004, 11:59 AM
tard...tarts...mmmm

LA_MERC_goose
March 4th, 2004, 12:09 PM
All I change is the install directory and yes some programs write some files to the Windows (and other) directory which is on my C drive but I have been running like this for a year now and I haven't had any problem. Worst thing I've run into has been forgetting to change the default from C to D and then having to uninstall and reinstall to the correct location. Nothing better than wasting time on something you know you should have correct the first time :D

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==