PDA

View Full Version : w00t - CS under linux!!!

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 18th, 2004, 09:22 PM
OMG totally w00t!
Thanks to TransGaming and WineX 3.3, CS and Steam work flawlessly under Linux - I'm now running a completely M$ free box!!!

WOOOHOOOO!!!!!

LA_MERC_RiverRat
February 18th, 2004, 09:39 PM
what are you using for graphics? photoshop for linux? paint shop pro for linux?

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 18th, 2004, 09:43 PM
I just re-installed Linux - was running Windows about 2 hours ago, but for graphincs in Linux, Gimp is the bomb!

bighead
February 18th, 2004, 09:50 PM
for 2 hours anyway..then he' reinstall windows..like he always does hehe

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 18th, 2004, 09:58 PM
the key is, I NOW have CS working - that was always the deciding factor. It's here for good now :)

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
February 19th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Biggy, care for a friendly wager? ;-)

LA_MERC_Dirge
February 19th, 2004, 07:04 AM
and the band played on

roXet
February 19th, 2004, 07:15 AM
UT2k4 has a linux version of the demo out too. =)

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 19th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_roXet
UT2k4 has a linux version of the demo out too. =)

Yeah man - loaded that last night too!

Corona
February 19th, 2004, 09:24 AM
max your going to have to tell me how to do it... i for the longest time wanted to switch to linux but wouldnt cause of CS.. let me know your secrets my master... oh is it as fast as it is in windows ( slow as ballz) or faster

roXet
February 19th, 2004, 09:29 AM
max, did you end up subscribing to transgaming to get the good packages?

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 19th, 2004, 09:33 AM
It's basically the same - I'm getting 100fps at 1024x768, OpenGL.

All you gotta do is load up your favorite distro (Mine is RedHat Fedora), load your 3D vid drivers (I can help w/ Nvidia, know nothing about ATI under linux), edit your X configs to support 3d, install WineX 3.3 from http://www.transgaming.com and point2play from Transgaming.com, point point2play to CS_Steaminstall.exe after download steam, and tell it to "Install" the steam installer will run just as under windows. Main difference for getting into Steam once it's installed is you launch point2play, and it has all your windows games you have installed listed in there, and you choose the one you want to play, and hit "play" and steam launches just like normal.

As I said, game play is about the same, but steam takes a few seconds longer to start up, but that's becuase of wine starting up prolly.

If you wanna do it, get w/ me and well do it - I went from ingame CS in Windows to ingame CS in Linux in less than 2 hours last night!

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 19th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by LA_MERC_roXet
max, did you end up subscribing to transgaming to get the good packages?

I did. Best $15 I've ever spent on software :)

Corona
February 19th, 2004, 05:59 PM
ok well ill have to let you know what im going to do... i also play C&C generals.. and i still want to play that game too and i have a lot of school programs that i would need to get to run in linux... also i have to install linux.... it may be a few weeks anyway cause ill want to dual boot.. and SLOWLY move over to linux ... i dont know enough about it to just switch over... but i want to learn

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 23rd, 2004, 07:21 PM
Well, Bighead and M@lachi won that one - just reloaded windows :(

LA_MERC_M@lACHi
February 23rd, 2004, 07:23 PM
HA HA!

bighead
February 24th, 2004, 06:22 AM
I knew it..LOL nub

LA_MERC_goose
February 24th, 2004, 06:55 AM
Max needs to get him a seperate box just for Linux. I takes time to get the -nix systems set up and running completely! Everyone has to take their own "punch" at making their programs run on the platform. I tip my hat to you Max for wasting your time .... huh, using your time loading and reloading OS's trying to make one work that isn't any better than the one ya current have. :D LOL! J/J!

LA_MERC_MadMAX
February 24th, 2004, 07:06 AM
I have always liked tinkering with OSes. It's fun to see how differnt file systems/directory structure are - see how you can customize the GUI, etc. I keep loading Linux periodically too see how polished it's getting, and it's getting to be a pretty doggone good OS, but there are still things that are just too much of a hassle to get to work. While there are several Office Suites available, I'm just not as comfortable in any of them as I am in MS Office. There is no mail client that is even close to the functionality of Outlook 2003 - running evolution made me realize just how much spam Outlook's new junk filter catches. There is no Macromedia software available for linux - and I live in Dreamweaver and Fireworks for my web stuff - and although the GIMP is good, and has the same functionality, I just can't get around in it as easily as Photoshop.

I think what I am getting at is that it is not the OS that is the problem, at this point it is application support.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==